Pink Power-Up Smoothie
Anything pink dazzles the socks off my little one and this Pink Power-Up Smoothie is no different! Made that stunning shade of pink by antioxidant rich red fruits and veggies, it's easy on the eyes and super nourishing for the body.
Smoothies have been a big part of our lives since we started cleaning up our diet and eating real food. In fact, adding smoothies into our daily life was (literally) the very first change I made in my family's life....and it has stuck.
Why? Because smoothies are easy (which makes them a sustainable addition to a busy life), delicious, and an awesome way to start your day off on a healthy foot. And, personally, I have found that if you start your day healthy...the rest of the day tends to be healthy too. So, yeah, smoothies are in our life for the long haul and the addition of smoothies is also the first thing I suggest to anyone asking me "where to start" in a healthy living journey.
If you have scrolled down and looked at the ingredients, you will have noticed that there are beets in this bad boy. DON'T FREAK OUT. This smoothie is especially perfect for those of you who are beet skeptics! There is no earthy flavor. In fact, this smoothie tastes more like raspberry ice cream than anything beety. This is mainly because I suggest you roast the beets prior to adding them into the smoothie. The roasting process really makes the natural sugars in the beet comes to the surface and also cuts way back on the bitterness.
Is it an extra step in making a typical dump-and-blend smoothie? Yes....but it's worth it. Trust me. Plus, roasted beets is pretty hands-off. You simply wash, trim and peel the beet (which takes 30 seconds) and throw it in a 375 degree oven for an hour. While the beet is hanging out in the oven, you are reading a book, having a dance party with your kids, or soaking in a hot bath. Easy peasy and then you are ready to blend up this lovely rosy concoction. Seriously, this smoothie is the perfect way to easy oh-so healthy beets into your life.
Inspired by my oh-so popular Power-Up Green Smoothie, this pinkalicious (you mamas and papas know what book I'm referencing) smoothie is meant to really "power-up" your body for the day. You will feel full of energy and your gut will be oh-so happy with your breakfast offerings when you give it this smoothie.
So, you should totally go and make it.
Makes 3 servings
- 1 cup plain yogurt (I used coconut milk yogurt to make this non-dairy, but you can use whatever yogurt your family prefers)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 heaping tablespoons nut butter of choice
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1/4-1/2 a large beet OR a 1 whole small beet (how much to adds depends on comfortable you are with beets. For your first time adding them to a smoothie, I would suggest starting with 1/2)
- 2 cups frozen raspberries
- 1 cup almond milk or water
1. This step can be done during your meal prep or the day prior to making the smoothie. Actually, I suggest it, since you want them cool for the smoothie. Preheat oven to 375 F. Wash, peel and trim your beet(s). Cut in half and put on a small baking sheet. Roast for 45-60 minutes or until fork tender. Let cool completely.
2. Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend. Add extra almond milk/water (if needed) a little at a time until desired consistency is reached.
MAKE SURE YOU STAY UP TO DATE WITH ALL OF THE HAPPENINGS HERE ON THE NATURAL NURTURER AND SUBSCRIBE HERE.
This post contains affiliate links, though all opinions are my own. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does kicks The Natural Nurturer a little financial love to keep doing what we do. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest