Super Simple Blackberry Chia Jam
This Super Simple Blackberry Chia Jam is so delicious and awesomely healthy that it is a total game changer in the healthy living department! Made with minimal ingredients and low in sugar, this recipe is sure to become a staple in your real food kitchen.
If you have never made chia jam, hold onto your hats....because I am about to blow your mind and ruin all store bought jams and jellies for you. I'm sorry and totally not sorry at the same time.
Saturday, I found myself surrounded by acres and acres of beautiful and perfect organic blackberries. Blackberries that had been perfectly ripened by the sun and were bigger and sweeter than anything you can find in the store. To say I was in my bliss is an understatement, as I was transported back to my youth in Maine and snacking on the wild blackberries growing in the outskirts of my yard on warm summer days.
My husband and I both believe in exposing our daughter to as many farm-to-table experiences as possible. We both grew up in small rural towns in New England, where the woods was our playground and our chores were helping to weed out the family garden and making sure that our daughter knows where her food comes from is important to both of us. So, this particular Saturday, my family and I ventured out to a local organic farm's annual blackberry festival.
As we walked up and down the rows of blackberry bushes, my daughter gleefully ate two berries for every one she put in her basket. Soon, we were all stained purple and full of summer blackberries. As I looked at our enormous haul, I instantly knew that I need to turn a handful of our pickings into Super Simple Blackberry Chia Jam.
I make pretty much every seasonal fruit into chia jam. Chia seeds are loaded with protein, calcium, healthy omega-3 fatty acids and soluble fiber and chia jam is just one more delicious way of sneaking those suckers into our diet. Making chia jam takes next to no time or real skill in the kitchen, but is a wonderful staple to have on hand to healthfully jazz up some plain yogurt, oatmeal, or even gluten-free toast. My daughter enjoyed this Super Simple Blackberry Chia Jam (still warm) on a Flourless Peanut Butter Muffin.
But feel free to get creative with your applications of this recipe. But you are required to report back! I want to know all the ways to enjoy this awesome summer recipe.
- 3 1/2 cups of blackberries (fresh or frozen)
- 4-5 tablespoons chia seeds (depending on how thick you like your jam)
- 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup or honey or to taste (optional. This depends on how sweet your berries are and how sweet you like your jam)
1. Put the blackberries in a small sauce pan. Warm the berries over medium-high heat. Once they are warm and their juices are starting to be released, use a potato masher or fork to smash the berries.
2. Once the berries have been well smashed, add the chia seeds and maple syrup/honey (if using), stirring to combine.
3. Bring the blackberry jam to a slow boil, occasionally stirring to prevent burning. Once the mixture is bubbling, lower heat to medium-low and cook for 4-5 minutes or until mixture has started to thicken. Continue to stir occasionally.
3. Transfer to a jelly jar or another type of container. Allow the jam too cool completely (it will continue to thicken as it cools) before storing in an air tight container. Jam should last for a week in the fridge.
MAKE SURE YOU STAY UP TO DATE WITH ALL OF THE HAPPENINGS HERE ON THE NATURAL NURTURER AND SUBSCRIBE HERE.
This post contains affiliate links, though all opinions are my own. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does kicks The Natural Nurturer a little financial love to keep doing what we do. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest