Moist Mini Dark Chocolate Cakes (paleo, vegan)
Rich, chocolaty, and melt-in-your-mouth delicious, these Moist Mini Dark Chocolate Cakes are the perfect little treat for any occasion and are the perfect Saturday afternoon baking project to create with your kiddo.
"Mommy, let's make little cakes together! Chocolate ones! Please, please, please? We can have a tea party with them after," Alice pleaded with her best doe eyes one Saturday afternoon. Being a mama who really loves to cook and believes in the importance of teaching my child her way around the kitchen, I typically jump at any chance to cook with my favorite little sous chef.
However, today we were running pretty low on my typical baking essentials. No eggs. No coconut flour. No apple cider vinegar. But I had a little girl with a tea party dream on my hands, so it was time to cross my fingers, put on my creative baking hat, and see if I could make these mini chocolate cakes a reality.
And, oh, did I ever.
Not quite cupcake with their moist dense texture, but clearly not a full fledge cake in their tiny individualized form. Perfect for an afternoon tea party with my girl and her favorite stuffed animals with a side of fruit.
This is a great recipe to make with kids, as its easily made in two bowls and is egg-free (making it optimal for spoon licking and batter sampling). Alice loved learning about "wet ingredients" verses "dry ingredients" and then combining them, noting how they both changed. And given a 1/4 cup measuring cup, she could easily (though admittedly a bit messily) portion out the batter into the silicone cupcake liners on her own before I popped them into the oven.
Makes 9 mini cakes
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 6 tablespoons warm water
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1/2 cup cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup cacao nibs (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine flax seed meal and warm water. Mix and set aside for at least 5 minutes to "gel" into a "flax egg"
- In a medium bowl. Combine the dry ingredients. Stir, making sure to break up all lumps.
- Add vanilla, almond milk, and "flax eggs". Stir until well combined.
- Fold in the cacao nibs if using.
- Portion out into 9 lined muffin tins holes (these do especially well with silicone cupcake liners) and bake for 15-20 minutes in a 350F oven or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool for 15-20 minutes before enjoying.
Make sure you stay up to date with all of the happenings here on The Natural Nurturer and subscribe here.
This post contains affiliate links, though all opinions are my own. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does kicks The Natural Nurturer a little financial love to keep doing what we do. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest