Sweet Cinnamon Chickpea Poppers
Sometimes you just need a little something sweet.
And these guys are definitely that...little...and a little sweet. Sweet Cinnamon Chickpea Poppers are totally delicious to eat on their own (such as out of the bowl like popcorn, as I do) or to sprinkle over a salad that could use a touch of sweetness. Orrrrrr, feed them to your kid! Because the little people seem to be in love with them too! No harm and no fowl with these sweet cinnamon chickpeas, as they pack a punch of protein in their tiny, sweet, cinnamon coated packages.
1 1/2 cup chickpeas (you can use either canned or ones that you have cooked yourself)
1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
2-3 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
1 teaspoon cinnamon
dash of salt
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with either parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
2. Rinse and dry your chickpeas. This is an important step, as the chickpeas will roast better the drier they are. I recommended laying the rinsed chickpeas out on a clean dish towel and using either another clean dish towel or paper towels to blot the extra water off of them as much as possible.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together coconut oil, maple syrup, salt, and cinnamon. Add the chickpeas to the bowl and gently stir to ensure that all the chickpeas are evenly coated with the coconut oil/sweetener mixture.
4. Spread the chickpeas out on the baking sheet in a thin layer and place them in the preheated oven to roast for 15-20 minutes (using a spatula or wooden spoon to flip at the half way point) or until the chickpeas start to turn golden brown.
5. Remove from from oven and cool on baking sheet. Store in air tight container in the fridge for up to a week.