Breakfast Sushi (gluten free, vegan, nut-free option)
My family eats many breakfasts on the go. My husband has to be at work before dawn almost daily (that's the military life for you) and I need to be at my school (with my daughter in tow) bright and early a couple of times a week. Because of this, I have developed many easy "on the go" breakfasts so that we are never left hungry or tempted to hit a drive-thru.
This "sushi roll" is made up of a crepe, almond butter and fruit (I used sliced white peaches and strawberries. I knew breakfast was going to need to come together fast in the morning, so I made them the night before. I truly love cooking, so making crepes at 9 o'clock at night, with a glass of wine in hand and Miles Davis playing in the background is about as close to zen as I get. Plus, it made my morning a breeze.
Oat Flour Crepes
*Oat flour is incredibly easy to make. All you do is run uncooked rolled oats through the blender or food processor until it becomes flour. Tada!
In a blender or food processor, combine:
-1 cup oat flour
-1/2 cup almond meal (or sub an extra 1/2 oat flour to make nut free)
-1 1/2 cup milk (I used almond milk)
-1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
-1 1/2 teaspons vanilla
-2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
1) Blend until batter is smooth.
2)Heat a pan over medium heat until pan is very hot. Add 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil to the pan for cooking
3) Pour 3 tablespoons of batter into the heated pan and swirl the pan to distribute batter.
4) Once the edges of the crepe appear dry, flip and cook until both sides are slightly browned
5) Remove crepe from heat and let cool completely
Once the crepes have cooled, you can assemble them into the sushi roll.
1) If using peanut or almond butter, spread over all of the crepe. If you are making your breakfast sushi nut free, sub in sunflower seed butter, jam or just omit altogether.
2) Arrange sliced fruit at one end of the crepe
3) Starting on the side with the fruit layer, tightly roll the crepe.
4) Using a very sharp knife, cut the roll into sections of desired size.