Blueberry Coconut Chia Pancakes (gluten free, nut free)
When our family transitioned to eating unprocessed and organic foods, one thing we noticed is how much more expensive it can be. If you are trying to eat "clean" on a budget, you have to really plan and pay attention or you can end up spending a bundle. One trick I learned is to plan to have breakfast once a week for dinner. For whatever reason, wholesome breakfast recipes and items seem to be much more budget friendly. It really helps our family save a good chunk of money at the farmer's market or grocery store. Plus, we love breakfast any day of the week, night or day.
These pancakes are easy and chock full of wholesome goodness with rolled oats, coconut milk and chia seeds. You can throw whatever berry or fruit you please into them. Since there is a good amount of fruit in them, I didn't find the need to add a lot of sweetener to the mix.
4 cups rolled oats
14 oz coconut milk
2 Tablespoons chia seeds
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 Tablespoons maple syrup/honey
1 1/2 cups berry of choice
Coconut oil for cooking
1. In a food processor, combine all ingredients except berries and oil.
2. Heat a nonstick skillet with a little coconut oil in it over medium-low heat.
3. When the oil is hot, pour 1/4 cup of the batter into the pan for each pancake. Spinkle berries over the uncooked pancake.
4. Cook until edges are brown and then flip. Cook until both sides are golden brown.
5. Serve warm with a extra berries, peanut butter or a drizzle of honey/maple syrup