Healthy One-Skillet Teriyaki Chicken & Veggie Stir Fry
Teriyaki chicken stir-fry is to easy dinners what the Beatles are to music. Classic through and through. Something everyone body knows about….and either loves or hates. Personally, I’m on the love end of it all…for the stir-fry and the Beatles.
But here is the thing about classic teriyaki chicken stir-fry….its not all that healthy. I know, I know. That chicken and lovely sweet and sticky sauce are almost always accompanied by veggies (yay!), but that amazing sauce that kind of pulls the whole dish together is…well, not that great for you. Lots of soy. Lots of sugar. Lots of boooooooooooo.
So out with classic teriyaki chicken, and in with Healthy One-Skillet Teriyaki Chicken & Veggie Stir-Fry!
This recipes is the new knees to my bees for a few reasons:
1) One-skillet recipes are magical. I hate dishes. Don’t you hate dishes? Let’s just skip the extra dishes and make all the meals in one pan…starting with this one.
2) It still has the great taste of traditional teriyaki but without the overload of sugar and soy (and I’m sure a boatload of other additives that store-bought teriyaki sauce has.
3) Its easy. Because thats how I roll. I don't have the time or the patience for complicated, so if I am willing to make this for dinner....you better believe its a simple one.
4) Its all kinds of veggie-loaded. Because thats also how I roll. But you guys know that by now.
So let's just cut to the chase and make this recipe. Because its going to be happening a lot in my house...and your's too, I'm betting.
- 3-4 dates, pitted (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup apple cider or juice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tsps garlic powder, divided
- 1 -2 tablespoon tapioca starch (depending on how thick you like your sauce)
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 1/2 cups carrots, chopped (about 4 medium carrots)
- 4-5 cups broccoli florets (about 12 oz)
- 2 bell peppers, deseeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil (I use coconut or avocado oil)